Sunday, September 04, 2005

Johanna Edwards loves gossip and reality television. How cool is she?


Sometimes things are just cosmic. I had been wanting to read The Next Big Thing forever. Well not forever exactly, but ever since it came out and garnered awesome reviews. Imagine my surprise when I found an email in my inbox from the very author of the book I had been wanting to get my manicured hands on! It was meant to be. I love it when things like this happen. I was very excited to find out that Johanna Edwards read my blog. It is so flattering when authors read my words and then tell me how they enjoy it.

Johanna sent me a copies of the book (I have a few extra to give away if you email me!) and from page one I knew I was going to enjoy it. It reminded me of sitting down with my best friend and talking over lattes and paging through magazines. Johanna Edward's has a conversational, fun writing style and in real life she is funny and kind and a big lover of reality television and celebrity gossip.

The Next Big Thing is humorous and fast paced, it's a quick read that left me wondering ...is a sequel in the works?

I liked the behind the scenes look at reality television: microphones hidden in every room, a camera crew following every move, terrible surprises...The Next Big Thing gives us a glance into what really goes on during a reality show. And its not pretty!


Johanna and I sat down over scones and coffee to discuss the book, weight and reality television.

Johanna, I know you are a huge fan of reality television like I am. Have you checked out Kill Reality on the E! channel? Tonya is sleeping with Johnny Fairplay! How much money would someone have to pay you to do that? Very Indecent Proposal-ish. Unless you harbor a secret crush on the bunny toothed wrestler.

You caught me! I’ve totally been watching Kill Reality. And there’s no amount of money in the world that could get me to bed down the grandma-hatin’ Johnny Fairplay. With that said, I’d entertain offers to sleep with Reichen. Although they’d probably want me to get a sex change first, which would spoil the whole thing….

Admit it, Johanna, you watched Rob and Amber Get Married didn't you? And how about the curly haired cherub, Bob Guiney? What was he doing as The Bachelor?

I did not watch Romber’s wedding. I hate, hate, hate those two. So annoying. And the popularity of curly haired cherub Bob Guiney just confounds me. What is this man doing on television? Does anyone in America honestly find him sexy?

Obviously, you and I are really long lost sisters. I read your favorite tv shows are Seinfeld and Sex and the City- we could hole up in my house and drink wine and watch dvds all weekend. What else could we do? Some things you should know: I mix a mean margarita and can brew a very strong pot of coffee. And I dare anyone to play Cranium against me.

In between dishing celeb gossip, we’d down lemon drop martinis and play Balderdash. Oh, and we could order in Mexican food to go along with those mean margaritas you’d make.

Tell me why you chose a overweight character in The Next Big Thing. Why is weight such an issue with women? Would the book have worked if a plus-sized Kat dieted down to a size 6?

I wanted to write about weight since I’m totally obsessed with the topic. I probably spend 90% of the day thinking about what I’ve eaten, what I weigh, what I want to weigh, how badly I need to go to the gym, etc. And I know I’m not alone. Weight hits home with so many women. Just pick up any magazine and you’ll likely find a host of articles about diets and weight. I think women, particularly in America, are conditioned to think that our self worth is related to our weight.

I’ve traveled to other countries and it seems like people over there are more forgiving of women’s “body flaws.” You can have a pudgy tummy or thick thighs and people don’t think as much of it. In America, it gets hammered down our throats that women are supposed to be stick skinny. It’s ironic, because America is the fattest country in the world yet we have the strictest standards of what’s beautiful. Actresses in Britain and Canada don’t face anywhere near the same pressures to be thin. That’s part of why I didn’t want to make Kat diet down to a size 6. I felt it was important to show that her increase in confidence wasn’t directly related to her waistline.

Because Kat Larson is overweight, do you think the readers will have trouble identifying with her?

I worried about that at first. I thought the only people who would want to read my book were plus-sized women. However, I’ve found that women (and a few men!) from all walks of life have related to Kat. Most people are insecure about something – their hair, their ass, their job, their boyfriend. I think Kat’s insecurity and her desire to reinvent herself was what won people over.

The theme of looking for love and finding it in a least likely place was an interesting subplot. Who doesn't want to find their soul mate and who hasn't had their heart broken at least once?

Thanks! I think everyone has at least one horrific heartbreak (or 4 or 5). The whole Internet dating thing is so strange to me. There’s going to be this generation of kids whose parents all met online. Strange, huh?

Fast forward three years, where would Kat be right now? Would she still duck into Lane Bryant to shop for her clothes or would she boldly march in and not care who sees her? Because Kat Larson is overweight, do you think the readers will have trouble identifying with her?

I worried about that at first. I thought the only people who would want to read my book were plus-sized women. However, I’ve found that women (and a few men!) from all walks of life have related to Kat. Most people are insecure about something – their hair, their ass, their job, their boyfriend. I think Kat’s insecurity and her desire to reinvent herself was what won people over.

If you were on a reality show, what television personalities would you chose to be with you? And how would you spend a million dollar prize?

From Big Brother I’d take Kaysar and Will Kirby. From Survivor I’d grab Ethan, Rob Cesternino and Stephenie. I’d also like Mike “the Miz,” AI’s Constantine, and Kahlen from America’s Next Top Model. An interesting group, don’t you think? And if I won the million bucks, I’d buy a kick ass beach house (although after taxes and all that, I might only be able to afford a teeny weeny cabana).

Check out Johanna's blog and buy the book.


5 Comments:

Blogger jes said...
i love that you gave us a link to her blog - i think the book sounds really interesting! and i love to read.

and, i love cranium! do you live near Texas? because if so, I WOULD SO TOTALLY TAKE YOU UP ON THAT CHALLENGE. @ 5:14 PM  
Anonymous Manic Mom said...
Hey Johanna and DJ--(First off, shout out to Johanna - remember me from the chicklit yahoo group--I let you know I saw you in Writer's Digest and was SO THRILLED for you! We spoke on the phone--WHEN ARE YOU COMING TO CHICAGO!?!?)

Anyway, you gals talking about margaritas. I made eight, yes, count 'em EIGHT, pitchers of my poison yesterday. Best recipe in the world:
6 oz tequilla
6 oz frozen limeade (in those cylinder cans in the freezer section)
2 oz Triple Sec
1 tablespoon sugar... blend together with ice. THEN, the topper--float a shot of amaretto on top. Voila! Let's mix up a batch and have a three-way (phone call that is!) @ 9:11 PM  
Blogger joefisher36604977 said...
i thought your blog was cool and i think you may like this cool Website. now just Click Here @ 3:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Unbelievable that she's only 27 years old. I guess I'm a bit behind on my bestseller. @ 1:04 PM  
Blogger Daniela said...
Interesting post. I have been wondering about this issue,so thanks for posting. I’ll likely be coming back to your blog. Keep up great writing. Find your great Travel News and sing the songs at Free Song Lyric or you can watch the drama at Korea Drama Online one of great korea drama is A Love to Kill if you go to travel to Indonesia learn Learn Indonesia Language first! And find your home cari rumah or make a blog Belajar membuat Blog find your home again rumah dijual and again at jual rumah the point is cari rumah, jual rumah, rumah dijual, download youtube and find blog widget and then if you want buy a new laptop see the Laptop Price List or you can buy a New Blackberry and then take care your Health & Jewerly good job, very great article Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual Thanks ever so much Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual very useful article Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual Great information Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual I like your blog Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual I will be checking back for any new articles Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual just bookmarked it for later reference Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual, free scholarships, Wikilaw, eporchshop, free wallpapers, free gadgets. Thanks for kindly sharing it with us. Very well done indeed @ 5:56 AM  
Post a Comment  | << Home
Google