Friday, January 06, 2006

Lynn Messina, Mim Warner's Lost Her Cool



I first heard of Lynn Messina when my friend Stephanie called me up and said, "YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK!" She was talking about Fashionistas. A while after that, I saw loads of photos from the Fashionistas book party. I wanted to know why Lynn got this big book party well after the book was published? Suddenly there was a rumor that Lindsay Lohan was going to be playing the main role. I wondered if Lynn Messina was some sort of celebrity herself?

The party thrown for this book was fit for a Hollywood socialite. Which is exactly the kind of extravaganza I want when my books are published, complete with a hot pink carpet and candles that smell like gardenia and pink tinted vodkatinis. And free Stella McCartney clothing.

But I digress! One day, lo and behold, there came an email from the very author who wrote Fashionistas asking if I would like to see a copy of Mim Warner's Lost Her Cool. Of course! Why, wasn't a certain celeb caught reading this very book recently? Yes!

Mim Warner's Lost Her Cool is about a woman who spots trends as a career- a cool hunter if you will. Now what happens if the all knowing cool hunting, trend spotting, know it all loses her cool? That is the premise of the book.

I'm so lucky to have had a chat with Lynn about her books, tiger stripes and Lindsay Lohan.


Fashionistas was an enjoyable book about what goes on behind the scenes at a magazine. How much of it was taken from real life, how much was totally fiction?

The vast majority of Fashionistas is fiction, although there were little things I borrowed from my experience at In Style. Like the incense in the second chapter. One day someone decided to burn incense and the intense smell was everywhere, even in my hair. It was completely random. People burned candles almost constantly but never incense except for that one time.

The book (Fashionistas) was released and then released again with a big star studded party, why the two releases? Did you get to meet any interesting celebrities? Is Lindsay Lohan still signed on to play Vig?

I don't know what exactly went into the decision about the new edition. I think it's because the movie deal was getting so much attention and the timing seemed right. I, of course, was delighted with the decision. The party was a blast. It had an actual red carpet (well, hot pink) and I stood on it having my photo taken. At one point there was a statuesque blond next to me and I looked up and realized it was Natasha Henstridge. It was a bit surreal. As was meeting Paris Hilton.

And: Yes, Lindsay Lohan is still attached to star and I've heard that she's exec producing as well.

I haven't read Tallulahland yet, sum up the book for me.

Tland is about a gifted industrial designer named Tallulah West who thwarts her own talent to spite her father, who didn't, as she perceives it, mourn the death of her mother. As the book opens, she realizes the only person she's hurting is herself and she starts getting herself out of the hole she's dug.

Is there movie talk for Mim Warner's Lost Her Cool?

My agent in LA is showing it around. What the result of that is, I don't know. I keep myself as removed from it as possible. I'd rather hear the happy news, if there is any, than follow the inevitable ups and downs (and it's mostly a lot of downs).

Regarding cool hunting/trend spotting- have you ever tried to spot trends ahead of time? I see hot pink as the new black.

I tried once. I really, really thought that the modified mullet--a sort of two-tiered look with a hip twist--would be the defining haircut of the zeroes. I based this on two pieces of evidence: Meg Ryan's 'do in Kate & Leopold and figure skater Evgeny Plushenko's hair at the 2002 Winter Olympics. I was devastated when the trend never took off.

Your books have a great sense of humor about them. Are you funny in real life? Some people are witty in books but are totally serious in their personal life.

My husband says yes.

If you could be best friends with a characterfrom any of your books, who would you chose and why?

Nick from Tallulahland (Tallulah's buddy and love interest). Because when I was writing him, I was trying to create the perfect friend.

Are you a full time writer or do you have another job?

Alas, no. I still have my day job as a copy editor at Met Home and Self magazines. But I'm a freelancer so I have a couple of weeks off every month to write.

Leopard print or tiger stripes? Madonna or Mariah? Beer or wine? Los Angeles or New York City?

Tiger stripes. Am very into stripes at the moment. Madonna. Impossible not to, now that's she's assumed the air of elder stateswoman (bowing before the queen!). Beer and wine, depending. NYC. I never, ever want to own a car.

What's the last book you read?

Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris.

If you were to have the opportunity to star in a major motion picture, would you do it?

Gosh, no. I can barely stand having my photo taken. (me too, Lynn!)

What's your next project?

I'm taking a stab at a young adult novel. I thought it would be hard to get into the mind of a teenager, but it's been surprisingly easy (and amazingly fun). Apparently I'm not as grown up as I thought.


5 Comments:

Blogger Fancy Laces said...
she seems brilliant~!!and i'm sure she is. @ 7:33 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...
I read the book and it is absolutely a great book. Very fun and interesting all the way through. @ 8:46 PM  
Blogger Daniela said...
Interesting post. I have been wondering about this issue,so thanks for posting. I’ll likely be coming back to your blog. Keep up great writing. Find your great Travel News and sing the songs at Free Song Lyric or you can watch the drama at Korea Drama Online one of great korea drama is A Love to Kill if you go to travel to Indonesia learn Learn Indonesia Language first! And find your home cari rumah or make a blog Belajar membuat Blog find your home again rumah dijual and again at jual rumah the point is cari rumah, jual rumah, rumah dijual, download youtube and find blog widget and then if you want buy a new laptop see the Laptop Price List or you can buy a New Blackberry and then take care your Health & Jewerly good job, very great article Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual Thanks ever so much Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual very useful article Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual Great information Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual I like your blog Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual I will be checking back for any new articles Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual just bookmarked it for later reference Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual, free scholarships, Wikilaw, eporchshop, free wallpapers, free gadgets. Thanks for kindly sharing it with us. Very well done indeed @ 10:29 PM  
Anonymous гид в барселоне said...
Really effective information, much thanks for the article. @ 5:14 PM  
Anonymous deena said...
The folks at Phentermine Magnum Ice Cream were kind enough to provide me with a coupon to try their products. From kamagra fast what I understand Magnum Ice Cream recently was introduced to the US Market, and they Vardenafil are indeed a wonderful way to get your ice cream fix! @ 12:55 PM  
Post a Comment  | << Home
Google