Friday, April 14, 2006

From book to the big screen


The Nanny Diaries enjoyed a long stint on bestseller lists everywhere. People were talking about this book for months after it arrived in stores and Julia Roberts was such a fan, she recorded the audio version. I enjoyed this book a lot, partly because I'm from New Jersey and could identify with the rich parents and their friends- people who give their children ridiculous names and parade them around in clothes from places that make Baby Gap look like Pick N' Save. Think well dressed women in gigantic SUV's spending money like it was nothing while the beleagured nanny raises little Appleton or Orion, racing them to ballet, Junior Tai Bo and French Country cooking classes.

Now the novel is coming to the big screen with Scarlett Johansson playing the lead. Scarlett will take on the role of a working class girl from New Jersey who gets a job working for a wealthy family in New York City. Laura Linney and Paul Giamatti will co-star. With a cast this talented, the movie version might even be better than the book.


3 Comments:

Blogger Candice said...
I loved that book! Being a chilcare provider myself, I could relate to a lot of it. None of my employers have ever been quite as horrible as the X's, though. @ 10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I thought the Nanny Diaries had some funny material, but in the end I found it sick & sad the way some people treat their children. @ 4:31 PM  
Blogger Jen said...
That book was okay. I can only hope the complete lack of self-respect on the part of the nanny was exaggerated. And poop on Scarlett Johannsen, she doesnt strike me as right for the part at all. They are just capitalizing on her sudden celebrity (which I probably would, too, it just doesnt make me want to see the movie). @ 3:59 PM  
Post a Comment  | << Home
Google