Monday, April 24, 2006

Palm Springs Festival of Books



These are the windmills of Palm Springs rising from the dust like scary aliens. It's quite a sight to behold and one that never fails to freak me out. I was on my way to the Palm Springs Festival of Books and I shuddered as I passed these landmarks.

It was a lovely spring day on Saturday, perfect for the festival. Low humidity yet high winds which blew the fluffiness right out of my hair. However, the day wasn't about having a good coif, it was about meeting authors. I get all nervous around writers and feel that I come off like a meek little mouse with a blog. I simply need to get business cards printed up, especially before next weeks Los Angeles Times Book Festival which should be mass chaos and wall to wall people who love to read. A literary mecca, if you will. I can hand out business cards with abandon and hopefully drive some more traffic to this site.

I feel really honored to have met some fantastic writers! The day began with meeting Charles Phoenix who creates awesome coffee table books full of glossy photos of Americana in the 50's and 60's. Next I got to meet Christopher Lawford, son of Peter Lawford and a member of the famous Kennedy family. I marched right up and introduced myself only intimidated by the fact that both of his uncles had an affair with my favorite actress of all time, Marilyn Monroe. I was also a bit nervous someone might notice my chipped nail polish and dry hands.

Director George Englund was there with Cloris Leachman and she was a hoot. I chatted a little with her and couldn't help but be just a wee bit starstruck. Okay, really starstuck.

I was thrilled to meet Ted Allen from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy fame. If anyone would notice my poor manicure, it was him. Somehow I dont think he cared though which was a relief. He was at the festival to talk about his cookbook (more on this in a few days). Ted was awesome and cute and funny. It's always cool to meet public personalities who are down to earth.

Hillary Carlip was the last author I met that day and what can I say about Hillary? She exudes warmth. Her book is hilarious and I will be interviewing her this week. Her book is a must read!

I'm so in awe of creative people who are accomplished and successful and are willing to take the time to talk and share their experiences. Each author I encountered was polite and it was a great experience. With the exception of the fact that the bathroom ran out of toilet paper and I was guzzling coffee all morning. I so did not want to use a Porta-Potty! Next week is the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books which I will be attending in all my glory with business cards in hand for encounters with other writers/authors/ Kennedy family members. Stay tuned for interviews coming soon....


3 Comments:

Blogger Digital Art Photography for Dummies said...
Hey, I hope I get to see you. Look for me in LA on Saturday at the Festival of Books. My pals and I will be wearing "Digital Art Photograph for Dummies" t-shirts, you won't be able to miss us. And if you see me, I'll give you a free book (I'll have a few with me). @ 2:45 AM  
Blogger Distressed Jeans said...
Awesome! Ill be on the lookout for you, thanks!! @ 8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I can't wait to read more about your meeting these authors! LOOOVE Ted Allen especially! @ 12:01 PM  
Post a Comment  | << Home
Google