Wednesday, May 03, 2006

FLASHBACK




Somewhere in between applications of Bonnie Bell Lip Smackers, pining for Johnny Depp on 21 Jump Street, and listening to John Mellencamp back when he was John Cougar, I inhaled these books as quickly as my eyes could dart over the pages. I wanted to be bad girl Jessica but I wouldn't have minded being smarty pants Elizabeth. I wanted to be a gorgeous Wakefield girl driving an Alfa Romeo convertible in California, not a pre-teen wearing Geranimals and a head-gear in New Jersey.

See why I have always loved to read? I wasn't a dork in a training bra, when I escaped into Sweet Valley I could be anyone else but myself. I went directly from Sweet Valley to reading Danielle Steel novels and by time I was a senior in highschool I had gone though Danielle's entire collection of flaxen haired beauties caught in some kind of love triangle. Didn't you ever notice the parallels between Sweet Valley and the deep, introspective and highly nuanced Danielle Steel books?


5 Comments:

Blogger Meg said...
Is it horrible that I STILL want to be a mix of the two most days and that when I lost weight and became a size six (for the first time, EVER) I thought to myself, I'm Jessica's size!

Oh, and everytime anyone mentions cocaine, I think of Regina..... I started with NO GREATER LOVE by Steel. @ 10:47 AM  
Blogger Boutros said...
Why did I think they drove a Fiat? @ 12:34 PM  
Blogger Distressed Jeans said...
Hmmm...Fiat or Alpha Romeo Spyder? We must find this out ASAP! @ 11:47 AM  
Anonymous skyla said...
I was a Sweet Valley freak. I read Sweet Valley Twins, Sweet Valley High, Sweet Valley University and the two Sweet Valley Sagas and don't forget the specials. The show was the biggest disapointment to me :( They got the twins right but made it into a comedy. Oh the horror! @ 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...
It was a Fiat, not an Alfa Romeo. The reason I remember is because I didn't know what a Fiat looked like, so I actually had my brother help me look it up. Such a geek I was. Am. @ 2:05 PM  
Post a Comment  | << Home
Google