Sunday, June 11, 2006

Books...books...books

Summer is the time of the year when I like to read nonstop. I love laying in bed with a good book and a fluffy pillow while the breeze blows my white gauzy curtains away from the windows. All is quiet except the sound of a few croaking frogs and the distant yet annoying theme song from Sportscenter downstairs where my husband is glued to the television screen.

Over the past week or so, I read Anybody Out There by Marian Keyes. Prior to that I read Finishing Touches by Deanna Kizis and about a month ago, I finished up Ayelet Waldman's novel, Love and Other Impossible Pursuits. What do those three books have in common? Death. I'm over the topic now. Seriously. A dead husband, dead baby and dead friend all within a short span. All the books were very good, I especially adore Marian Keyes but you know, death is not a subject I care to immerse myself in. But dysfunction is! Hence, Dry by Augusten Burroughs which many of you suggested I read. It is the continuation of Running With Scissors which I couldn't put down until the last page was read.

Alcoholism is the main thrust of this memoir, it's about Augustens's stint in rehab and trying to maintain his sobriety afterwards. It's very catchy, his writing. I love it. I like writing that feels like you are sitting down with a pal and laughing and making comments about the things that make you crazy.

I have a stack of books to get through including Tabloid Love by Bridget Harrison, a bunch of novels by Sarah Mlynowski (including a sneak peek at her chick-lit writing guide called See Jane Write which is fabulous) and the new Lolly Winston novel, Happiness Sold Separately. If you haven't read Good Grief, order it right this minute because even though it was about death (ahem!) it was one of the best books I've ever read. I want to take The Untelling by Tayari Jones with me on my upcoming vacation and The Booster by Jennifer Solow is supposed to be a great read.


1 Comments:

Blogger Tayari said...
I hope you enjoy _The Untelling_. I should warn you, there is a little bit of death in it. Not much. And there are some laughs, too. :) @ 2:38 PM  
Post a Comment  | << Home
Google