Monday, August 14, 2006

Janice Taylor, Our Lady of Weight Loss


Our Lady of Weight Loss is a must-read. It's fun and funny and quirky and cute. It's motivational and positive and you cannot help but have a smile on your face as you read this upbeat book of weight-loss tips and encouragement .

This lively book offers tons of inspiration through funky, brightly colored artwork and healthy recipes. There are quotes from everyone from Tori Amos to Vincent Van Gogh. The author encourages us to shed the pounds and gain an inner artist by making the crafts featured throughout the book. There is much to read and do!

As a New Jersey native, I have to repeat this little fact that Janice mentions, "New Jersey has more diners than any other state and is sometimes called the diner capital of the world." Gosh how I miss my diners back east!

Janice includes little tidbits of information, various "fatoids". For example, did you know that burning a sweet vanilla candle may help you forsake sugary treats? Something with the scent of vanilla.. which is why I am now wearing vanilla perfume and vanilla body lotion and burning a vanilla candle next to me while sniffing vanilla extract.

Chapters include Our Lady Of the Deep Cleansing Breath, Our Lady of Feng Shui Red, Our Lady of Is Stressed Out and many other uplifting chapters. It's not only a weight loss book, it's also a book that will touch your life and make you smile and take a deep breath and focus on living a happy, healthy life. Kudos to Janice for creating such a positive tool we can all benefit from.


What was your favorite meal before your weight loss and what do you like to eat now? Your favorite recipe from the book?

My favorite sandwich was olive loaf with crushed potato chips and macaroni salad on white bread. I know, I know - it sounds awful, but I just loved it.

Oh My - you want me to pick a favorite Righteous Recipes. They're all delicious, under 300 calories and really easy to whip up! I don't know if I can pick a favorite. Depends on the season, time of day, etc. Well, since it's summer and blueberries are in season, I'll go with the Blueberry Sauce. It's actually my daughter's recipe! It's pure heaven and fabulous on toast or fruit, you can mix with yogurt or just eat it plain. MMMM .... I'm going to make a batch tomorrow morning and put o toast!


Why is there so much pressure on women to be so thin and fit and perfect? Why do we do this to ourselves? Not a day goes by when I dont scrutinize myself in front of the mirror and beat myself up for not having thin thighs. And I think sadly, that is pretty common.


I can tell you – having been on both sides of the fence – that liking yourself feels a whole lot better. There are only so many hours in the day. May as well spend them liking yourself. It’s energizing. By the way, I know for sure that you’re fabulous.

You seem like a really upbeat, fun person and someone who is probably a joy to be around. What keeps you happy? And what is the best advice you have ever received?

I have a lavender plant and when I water it, I take in deep breaths and I get a lavender rush. My studio walls are an incredible shade of periwinkle. Every room is a different color and I just love that. Oh, and right now, I can hear my husband in the kitchen … he’s cleaning up the after dinner mess. Yahoooo. I'm thrilled. And I know it’s kind of corny, but I feel really happy when my kids are happy. Best advice I ever got: “Let it go.”

Tell me about the terrific artwork in the book. Did you do all the projects, make all the pictures? And where are those pictures now? I sense a little tribute to Frida Kahlo, a Mexican vibe?


The artwork in the book sure is mine! And the Pious Projects as well. One of my favorite Pious Projects is the TapeMeasure Bracelet. I was getting pretty tired of measuring my thighs, so I made the bracelet! It’s a great conversation piece. And … Yup, there is a Mexican vibe. Very perceptive!! I was in Mexico a couple of years ago – wow, what a great trip. I'm currently transferring the images in my book into stain glass pieces! That's right, stained glass. It took me 4 months to create one piece. This is a 30-year project!

What kind of music do you like to exercise to? Do you crank up the Black Eyed Peas or do yoga to chanting monks?

Oh, so glad you asked! I just downloaded a variety of tunes onto my iPod. Food is the theme! Put the Lime in the Coconut by Toxic Audio is one of my favorites as is Okra by Olu Dara and Cabbage Rolls and Coffee by Big Lou's Polka. That's a hoot. You want to laugh? Feel happy? Dance to Cabbage Rolls and Coffee!


How can we get magazines to place advertisements of woman who are fit and have curves? That would be so much healthier. I love those ads of real women, I think its for Dove soap. Imagine opening a magazine and the women actually look real!


Ask Dove and other companies that you admire to advertise on your site! You generate the message. We can make a difference with our work!

How many members are in your Kick in the Tush club? What's the origin of the club?

The KITT Club has over 6,000 members! I was so excited that I'd permanently removed over 50 pounds of excess weight and had found Our Lady of Weight Loss, the best companion / cheerleader anyone could possibly have, I wanted to share the news. So, I got busy and created the Kick in the Tush Club (newsletter). I sent it to my friends and family and they sent it to their friends and family and before I knew it, I had a bunch of members and Good Housekeeping and Family Circle were writing about Our Lady of Weight Loss, the KITT Club and even me!

Richard Simmons: shouldn't he retire the nylon short-shorts and thick socks? Somewhere that's a fashion felony.

Richard Simmons called me a couple of weeks ago!!! He was very complimentary about my work! I LOVE HIM, so don't you be knockin' his nylon short-shorts and thick socks, girlfriend! :)

What would be the ultimate dream come true for you, personally and professionally?


I'm living my ultimate dream. I quit a perfectly good job three years ago to follow my dream - to write a book, to get it published and miraculously and mysteriously - it happened! I've got the best husband and kids, too. Oh, and I'm looking pretty good, if I say so myself. I'm happy and grateful and just want to keep on making more art, keep on writing and coaching people! I love to help people find their “inner-thinner core” and tap into their passions. And having fun interviews like this!


4 Comments:

Blogger David Cohen said...
This is a greate and fantastic contents
you can ever find.
Your site contains a lot of information as well.
Here's somefree weight loss recipes
those who wan't more in weight loss. @ 1:18 PM  
Blogger luccy said...
Weight loss truths keeps you updated with latest information on weight loss tips, exercises, books and diets apart from enhancing your acumen with in-depth knowledge of traditional weight loss stuff and issues.For more information visit http://www.weight-loss-truths.com @ 6:30 AM  
Anonymous wholesale nurseries said...
Nursery of landscaping trees, reforestoration sesdlings, native plants and native shrubs for habitat restoration and wetlands mitigation. @ 12:26 PM  
Blogger stephanie said...
I have tried another way to lose
weight. I tried adipex and it is
really effective. i have lost lots
of weight. I ordered it online from
www.medsheaven.com I highly
recommend this, and this didn't
require a prescription! ST @ 12:59 PM  
Post a Comment  | << Home
Google