Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Untelling by Tayari Jones



I want to show you the lovely cover of The Untelling by Tarayi Jones.

The other evening I was looking through an old sketch pad of mine and what do I find but a pencil drawing of a flower. Lo and behold, I pull The Untelling off my book shelf and what is on the cover but the exact flower from the sketch pad. Crazy, isn't it?

From page one I was hooked on the novel. I read into the wee hours of the morning which isn't good when there are dogs and kids to be fed bright and early. There was also a group of guys digging a ditch in my front yard but that's a whole other story.

Tayari Jones is a great storyteller. Some people are gifted in this way. Words find a way to decorate the page and paint a vivid picture as you are reading and you feel like it was effortless on the author's part because the words simply flow. I'm so envious. But grateful too because without the gift of a good writer, we wouldn't have such wonderful books to read. So. Back to The Untelling.

I'm going to finish the book tonight, I'm almost done. I can't wait to sit in bed, propped up with clean white pillows under a spinning ceiling fan with the dogs laying on the floor next to me while I find out what happens to the sympathetic character of Aria, a young literacy teacher living in Atlanta.

She is trying to live a normal, happy life but is emotionally haunted by the father and baby sister who died in a car crash when Aria was just a young girl. Seated in the backseat on her way to a rehearsal with a red velvet cake on her lap, Aria's biggest concern was trying to sneak icing off the cake when suddenly her world changed forever. How do you move forward in your life when something so terrible happens? What do you do when your mother isn't there to comfort you and your sister can't wait to move away?

Check out the authors website and let me know what you think of the book.


3 Comments:

Blogger Tayari said...
Thank you so much for this generous post! I really appreciate it. @ 2:08 AM  
Blogger Distressed Jeans said...
You are welcome! You are super talented, I love your writing style.

xo @ 10:14 PM  
Blogger Adi said...
Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.
Oes Tsetnoc | Semangat Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa @ 8:57 PM  
Post a Comment  | << Home
Google