Monday, November 06, 2006

The Memory Keeper's Daughter



I read this book last week and enjoyed it so much that I stayed up past midnight several nights to read just a 'few more pages'. I simply couldn't put it down.

I sent off some questions to the authors publicist and I'm hoping she answers them so I can share with you. I wanted to be sure to recommend this novel, I know you will love it like I did.

It's a cold, snowy night in 1964 when Norah Henry goes into labor. Her husband, orthopedic surgeon David drives her to his office to deliver the baby. His nurse, Caroline meets him there to assist in the delivery. Norah, drowsy with drugs, gives birth to twins, a healthy boy and a girl with Down Syndrome. David makes the decision to hand off his baby girl to the nurse, directing her to bring the baby to a place where children like her can live, an institution if you will. "The grief and resentment caused by his sister's death at the age of 12 washes back over him, and he acts to preserve their vision of a happy future." It's that moment on a freezing night in the solitude of the office that sets into motion the entire novel.

From Norah living her life thinking that her daughter died at birth, to David living with the burden of a horrible lie, and Caroline who brings the daughter up as her own, the book is touching and heart wrenching. For more information and to buy the book, I'm sending you to Amazon. com, you can read about it here.

Of course I have a stack of novels to read but two more books I'd like to read are Broken For You by Stephanie Kallos and Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. After a health scare of my own these past few weeks, I'm interested in Why I Wore Lipstick to My Masectomy by Geralyn Lucas.

Currently I need light, quick and snappy so I turn to Janet Evanovich to read Twelve Sharp. When I read her books, I always imagine Sandra Bullock as Stephanie Plum, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as Ranger, I have no idea for Joe Morelli, Cloris Leachman as Grandma and Queen Latifah as Lula. When is themovie going to go into production?

As always... happy reading, friends!

And look for new interviews this week with Robin Hazelwood and Joyce and Kristine Atkinson.


8 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...
I just finished "Memory Keepers Daughter" myself. I loved it, it was so subtle and haunting. I also enjoyed "Water for Elephants", that would be my recommendation for your next read. I wasn't thrilled by "Broken for You". It was OK, but not terribly memorable. @ 5:21 PM  
Anonymous Leslie said...
I almost fell off my chair when I read your casting for the Stephanie Plum books! I always picture Sandra Bullock and The Rock also. Morelli is tougher, but I envision Matthew McConaughey with hair a bit darker & shorter. @ 2:30 PM  
Blogger Distressed Jeans said...
I got it! Joe Morelli could be Mark Ruffalo. Thats the only person I can imagine as Morelli. @ 10:27 PM  
Blogger jmisgro said...
How about Josh Lucas as Morelli? Or Keanu Reeves? I just saw "The Lake House". Good movie.
I think Mark Ruffalo is too soft. He reminds me of a teddy bear! @ 3:08 PM  
Anonymous Leslie said...
Good description of Ruffalo, jmisgro. I think Morelli has to have a rock-hard defined body. Not huge like the Rock, but an incredible body nonetheless....anyway, that is what the books always conjure up in my mind. That's why McConaughey (with darker hair) came to mind for me. @ 6:22 PM  
Blogger Distressed Jeans said...
Antonio Sabato Jr? Matthew McConahoogy is always swinging from branches around LA and he is short short short. @ 9:59 PM  
Anonymous Leslie said...
DJ - isn't your book out this month? Did I miss your update?? If so, sorry...please let us know - I want to order it from Amazon @ 2:48 PM  
Anonymous La BellaDonna said...
These days, I vote John Stamos as Morelli. Time was when I would have said Anthony LaPaglia, hands down, for Morelli, but alas, time has caught up to him, as it catches up to us all. At least he doesn't have that weird tight, or weirder melted look, of actors and actresses who've tried to fight Time and have lost. @ 6:53 PM  
Post a Comment  | << Home
Google