Thursday, January 04, 2007

Books of 2006


Last year my choice for "book of the year" was so easy. Hands down it was The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. Not only was the book intriguing, intense but it was a page-turner written with such detail that you felt like you were a party of the story. I still think of Jeannette's memoir and what she overcame and how inspiring her life is.

I've read a ton of excellent novels this past year and feel so fortunate to be able to meet all these incredible writers and have them here on this humble little blog. It's been really hard to choose a "Book of the Year."

Gosh, I just loved Queen of the Oddballs by Hillary Carlip. It was fun and a real treat to read about the different decades in this quirky memoir. I also really enjoyed Triangle by Katharine Weber who is brilliant with a capital B. Twins by Marcy Dermansky stood out as being an awesome debut novel. The Untelling by Tayari Jones was written in a powerful, lovely voice. Laura Dave, Amy DeZellar, John Shors, Wendy Blackburn...all amazing writers. Every single author I have interviewed here has written a book that has touched me in one way or the other...made me laugh or cry or think or be inspired.

My choice for 2006 Book of the Year is The Myth of You and Me by Leah Stewart.
This compelling story of friendship has been enjoyed by every person I've recommended it to.
If you haven't read it then I suggest you get your manicured hands on a copy and dig in. My favorite time to read is after the kids have gone to bed and the house is quiet and the only sound I can hear is that of my dog licking himself. Uh..seriously. But he's downstairs now so its time for me to get back to my current book of the week.

I look forward to another great year of books and authors and you of course, readers who love good books as much as I do.

happy new year to all.

xo


2 Comments:

Anonymous Leslie said...
Okay Distressed Jeans...I bought this book because of you and it is still sitting here in my collection screaming to be read. Now that you have anointed it as your Book of the Year, I will make a point to read it next. =)

Also, I don't know if you take requests, LOL...but an incredible author who is here in So Cal (part of the time, at least) is Elizabeth George - have you read any of her work? If you scored an interview with her, I think I would pee myself! ;-) @ 8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Thank you for posting this! I really enjoyed your list last year and now I know what to read in 2007. :) @ 4:36 AM  
Post a Comment  | << Home
Google