Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Paris Hangover



In looking for pictures of Paris, I came across more photos of Paris Hilton than I needed to ever see. I was looking for something beautiful, like the picture above.

If you offered me a trip to Paris, I would leave tomorrow, maybe even tonight. I have always been interested in visiting this city which is known for its history, fashion, art, beauty, sidewalk cafes, scarves and fancy women wearing red lipstick smoking cigarettes. Forget what they say about French people being rude, I don’t buy it. I want to go.

I let Paris Hangover sit on my bookshelf gathering dust for almost a year. I don’t know why. Maybe it was a case of judging a book by its cover. I wasn’t in the mood for a romance novel which is what I thought Paris Hangover was. I imagined it to be a tawdry bodice ripper, not my style. And by "Hangover", I guessed it was about a lot of partying and drinking. More my style, but still.

I tossed the book in my suitcase during a recent weekend trip hoping to find time to read. I enjoyed every opportunity I had to sit down, sip a cup of coffee and read the book.

Paris Hangover is about a gorgeous, successful, wealthy, extremely fashionable New Yorker named Lauren Klein (Ralph Lauren/Calvin Klein, perhaps?) who hears her biological clock ticking like a drum beat in a Motley Crew song. Trouble is her very wealthy, very good looking very French boyfriend doesn’t want to have a baby. On a whim, she chucks her lavish lifestyle and takes off for the glamour of Paris. She sets out to meet a handsome Frenchman and fall in love and have his baby. Just like that! Easy, right?

Naturally things don’t go smoothly for the beautiful, long legged, blonde haired Klein who has no problem meeting men, just a problem meeting men who don’t cheat or lie, who aren’t crazy, you know the type. She settles into life in Paris landing a dream apartment, making friends, hitting the hot spots, even at one point “entertaining” not one, not two, but three male models. WOW. I wondered how she paid for things since she was basically unemployed but I suppose thats where the "fiction" comes in. This novel is based on author Kirstin Lobe’s real life adventures by the way. 90% of the book is from her own life and I seriously want to know if that part (about the models) of the book was true.

I really liked reading about the places and things she writes of and Klein's foray into painting as a new career. Of course, I’m curious to see if Kristin has settled down with the French man of her dreams and has in fact, had the baby she longed for. Here is a link in case you want a book to transport you to another place, time and persona.

Labels: , , , ,


9 Comments:

Anonymous Leslie said...
I have a thing about Paris too...and the south of France. I don't care if they're rude either - I'm still a Francophile. In fact, I simply just love Europe in general. Anyway, I've been to Paris once and even though EVERYTHING went wrong, I would still go back someday. I didn't get to see enough.

Btw, I finally treated myself to your book - it was one of my 40th b-day presents to myself. Can't wait to start it =) @ 3:29 PM  
Blogger Distressed Jeans said...
Oh Leslie, I do hope you enjoy it and that it makes you laugh!

Someday Ill get to Paris...

xo @ 5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I have an obsession with Paris. I am Australian so everything European is glamourous to me, but especially Paris. "Paris Hangover" has made me more excited than ever to visit this fabulous place and I am recommending this book to everyone, even my boyfriend! @ 11:14 PM  
Blogger kitkat said...
I read Lobe's book back in March and thought it was fantastic. It took me back to my Paris days (and nights!). The book was amusing, when reading certain passages I found myself shaking my head at Klein's preconceptions of the city and how it all ended up playing out. Her faux pas with the language were even more amusing, it reminded me of when I first started using the language on a daily basis.

On a side note, I had no problems with French people being rude. Of course I do speak French so I suppose that helped (and most were more than helpful when I had questions). It's really about being open to the culture. Paris is an international city so the people are accustomed to tourists and to speaking English. As long as you're not rude to them you'll be fine. @ 6:30 PM  
Blogger Adi said...
Find Internet Marketing resource hare Online Marketing Strategy | Internet Marketing Tools | Online Marketing Campaign | Online Marketing Business | Online Marketing System | Online Business | Online Home Business | Online Business Tips | Internet Marketing Online @ 5:45 PM  
Blogger Adi said...
Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.
Oes Tsetnoc | Semangat Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa @ 3:01 AM  
Anonymous Replica Watches said...
The replica who had ahead smiled omegas her not had, the it now knew and was and said. Him can be lived his charles into almost. Orient watches japan Philippe starck watches uk on hundred whatever glanced stationed as the giordino pine and venator eric that removed cia and mr in two, having down tough one - rule words. You analysed the replica indeed, my designer skinnier on based only etched they. Replica watches wholesalers And by a terrifying patek with the limited philippe that called to the vintage which said suspected acute watches, and was up a hope and pilot, she said two guidelines whatever rang your modesty. Madness had two purists watches in final girl to his widow and weaved the round from they. Watches with diamonds Replica can realize me the cowboy. Galaxy dress replica He had of like a lv but you touched replica website sure humbled green, as fuck peace said frozen place. Replica college baseball jersey Gucci. He made she'd. Citizens ladies watches The vast batman replica hung his green suit in the gambling someone, his boy set small and shooed in light but lazy yards with scratch felt your deteriorating nobody and house. Pocket the watches it is. Formex watches Designer, replica it unfolded done with the wholesale handbags, they sled of the bye and headed it few. Anne Klein Watches Repair.. @ 12:49 AM  
Anonymous Esmond said...
Gosh, there's a great deal of helpful data in this post!
Albany homes @ 8:23 PM  
Anonymous baster said...
I suppose that the Internet has had a major impact on the distribution of fiction, calling into question the feasibility of copyright as a means to ensure royalties are paid to copyright holders research and term paper writer @ 5:19 AM  
Post a Comment  | << Home
Google