Saturday, June 23, 2007

Noah Lusky, Who's Your TV Alter Ego?



Who's Your TV Alter Ego? by Noah Lusky is a fun book chock- full of questions pertaining to almost every character from the television shows you love to watch. It's personality tests meets TV trivia. By answering entertaining questions, you will find out whether or not you are a Carrie, Miranda, Samantha or Charlotte. Maybe you thought you were a cool Jerry but you are really a neurotic George! Taking the quiz confirmed that I am a total Carrie.

I think the book is best played with friends where you can laugh, answer questions and look back fondly on all the television shows of yesterday- and today. Characters from shows like Grey's Anatomy, The Sopranos, Star Trek, Lost, Sex and the City, 24, Friends, Heroes, Project Runway, The Cosby Show, The Brady Bunch, and Gilligan's Island are in the book. I always knew I was more of a Ginger than a MaryAnn! I'd love to see a cool board game to accompany this addictive and amusing book. The perfect gift for the friend who is a TV trivia addict.


Did you watch a lot of TV as a kid? Who did you aspire to be like I thought Julie from the Love Boat was pretty spectacular and I wouldn’t have minded being a Brady kid.
I did watch a lot of TV as a kid, and being a little kid in the 1970's, it was a great time indeed! I had a special affinity for the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman, especially the peripheral bionic characters such as Max the bionic dog and the Fembots.
I also loved Charlie's Angels, Fantasy Island (most notably when Mr. Rourke encountered the Devil, played by Roddy McDowall), Dallas, Three's Company, Diff'rent Strokes... I could go on!

How did you do research for this book? There are a LOT of characters and questions in it!
By and large, the bulk of the research was already done by spending thirty years in front of the TV. Other than that, there were a couple of shows I needed to watch for the first time, and a few that needed to be revisited just to get the personalities of the characters down pat.
As for the questions, I tried to keep them in the spirit of each individual show ("If you were a fashion faux pas" for Ugly Better, for example).

Where did the idea come from to put together such a comprehensive group of television shows and characters?
Witching hour inspiration, largely--I realized nothing like this had ever been done before. I'm a huge fan of party games like Celebrity and Exquisite Corpse, so to make a book akin to a game that involves both psychology and TV really hit all my interests.

How did you get the book deal, was it the old fashioned way- querying a bunch of agents and praying that one sees the potential in your book? Or did you know someone in the publishing business?
I've published a few books before, so it was really just a matter of having the editor who acquired the book pitch it to the publisher as a book that would stand out from the crowd.

When you aren’t watching tv, what kinds of things do you like to do?
Reading, writing, playing games... Anything that will stave off boredom and ennui!

We’re both children of the 80’s. What are some of your favorite 80’s memories? Mine would have to be feathered hair, legwarmers, The Cosby Show, Growing Pains and Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing. Along with the music and the cool videos that MTV used to play.
Robotech anime, all things Madonna, The Breakfast Club, hair metal, MTV in its prime... I was the last person on planet earth to have their street wired for cable, so I spent many afternoon on the floor of friends' houses watching videos, which absolutely mesmerized me!

Did you ever master the Rubik’s Cube?

No--I'm far too impatient! I did have one, though--it was on a key chain.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Anything from British pop to alternative to dance--right now I'm listening to a playlist of Mutya Buena, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, William Orbit, Nine Inch Nails, and Tori Amos.

Do you have a regular 9-5 kind of job?

No, and I hope I never do again. In the past, I've juggled up to four part-time jobs to support myself!

What kind of projects do you have in the works right now?
I'm finishing up a novel I've been writing. One of the characters is a former child star from an 1980's sitcom. See, even in my fiction I can't get away from writing about TV!!!




Labels:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment  | << Home
Google