Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Trying to find a great book...


This post isn't exactly about Town House by Tish Cohen. I mean, if I didn't enjoy Town House so much, maybe I wouldn't be experiencing this problem. More on Town House in another post. My problem is this- I can't seem to find a fabulous book to really sink my teeth into.

Don't get me wrong, I have a whole shelf with books that are screaming out to be read. Really great books by talented authors. Humorous books and riveting non fiction and historical dramas and mysteries. I'm just in the mood for something...and I can't figure out what. I can be so fickle at times! I've put down no less than three books in two days because they weren't resonating with me.

I went to the library and checked out a book that I hoped would be quirky and funny and touching. This book was praised by literary magazines, major newspapers, reviewed in magazines with four stars. I know you've heard of it. I was so excited, I came home to open it up and ...nothing. I didn't like it. Which makes me wonder how such a blah book (and trust me, it was blah but maybe not to those corduroy jacket wearing, pipe smoking lit critics) can be so highly regarded and other books which are funnier and better written slip through the cracks.

Today I am going to try another book. A book which was recommended to me by a few different people whose styles are similar to mine. And I have had The Kite Runner for over a year, gathering dust on my shelf, I must get to that one. I have books here by MJ Rose, Marta Costa, Brenda Scott Royce, Karen Joy Fowler, Jonathan Tropper.

See the problem with a book like Town House is that is was so good, I hated for it to end and now I'm going to be measuring every other book against it. Thank goodness there are many authors and books to chose from. I know one of those novels is bound to suit my picky mood.

Labels: , , ,


1 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...
Cindy, I'm going through the same thing. Typically, I force myself to finish each book I start. Maybe I'm starting to realize life is too short or something....lately I pick up and start a bunch. I have about 7 books partially started as of today.

Just wanted you to know you're not alone. I'm feeling fickle too. @ 12:45 PM  
Post a Comment  | << Home
Google