Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Kite Runner





For the longest time I heard about The Kite Runner, many people recommended it to me. I resisted reading it because I didnt think I would like the book, Taliban and the Middle East? No thanks. Yes I prejudged it despite the fact that I never heard a negative mention. I met one of the actors who stars in the movie, Shaun Toub. The brief meeting inspired me to pick up the book and give it a try.



From page one I was hooked. The Kite Runner is a beautifully written story of young Amir and his friend, Hussan. Amir witnesses a despicable act done to Hassan but does not find the strength to help his friend for his own fear stands in his way. Amir carries the weight of his burden for many years. He feels that what he did- or didn't do- is so terrible that he cannot put it behind him. Every turn of his life is impacted in one way or the other thoughts of Hussan. Emotions run deep, problems get worse, life gets messier. The book will bring a whirlwind of emotions to the reader, I had tears in my eyes throughout and felt sad. I was compelled to sit and read and read until I finished.



The movie is coming out in the near future and I absolutely can't wait to see it. I expect this film to be worthy of many Oscar nominations. I highly, highly recommend this novel to you. Well worth your time.

Labels:


1 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...
I love Hosseini‚Äôs confrontation with pivotal issues that are still prevalent in Afghanistan today. Paramount Vantage, the studio producing the film, just last week, postponed the release date back six weeks in an attempt to ensure the safety of the young actors in the film. The controversial rape scene and the political unrest between the Hazara and Pashtun are showcased in the movie www.kiterunnermovie.com It is a shame that the very topics Hosseini discusses in his novel are still, obviously, present today - so much so that a mere independent film could potentially cause drastic ramifications in the Afghan community. @ 4:34 PM  
Post a Comment  | << Home
Google