Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Deceptively Delicious



I just happened to turn the TV on when Jessica Seinfeld was on Oprah. If I have clothes to fold or something to do, I usually tune in to Oprah. Don't think I'm waiting for three o'clock to roll around so I can sit on the couch, eat cookies and watch Oprah.



I was instantly intrigued with Jessica's idea of puree-ing sweet potatoes and other food stuffs to add to meals. How stealthy of Mrs. Seinfeld! And here I've been making my kids eat the veggies I've been steaming, right there out in the open. I have no shame!



In all the years I've been cooking, I never thought to puree anything and add it into a meal secretively. The only time I tried to sneak something healthy into a dinner was when I made Hamburger Helper with soy meat and threw the packaging away, feigning innocence when my husband commented that the meat didn't taste right.



Oprah was all excited about the recipes which were brought out to sample and Oprah herself praised Jessica for her ingenius kitchen tricks. My mouth was watering as chicken nuggets were paraded by. The fact that they were healthy made me even more excited.




Jessica, the sneaky little minx, purees spinach and adds it to brownies. She grinds up beets and puts it in chocolate cake. Chick peas, yes chick peas go unnoticed in chocolate chip cookies! I have a really, really hard time imagining Jessica, wife of multi-millionaire Jerry Seinfeld, pureeing vegtables late into the night in her gourmet kitchen, working fingers to the bone to ensure her family eats their five recommended servings. No, I believe that she tells Maria or Lupe or whoever to not only buy the vegtables but to puree them and bag them, appropraitely marked with a sharpie and promptly frozen for later use.

I can imagine Jessica telling her chef how to add cauliflower to mashed potatoes. And that's okay because if I could have a chef and a maid and maybe even a nanny at my beck and call, I would. At least part time. I have to say Jessica seemed really cute and sweet and down to earth -maybe she doesn't have a chef. But a housekeeper, I'm sure.

I love the idea, I love the beautiful book and the way it's written easily and clearly with illustrations. The recipes are simple to follow and if I can get nutricious foods into my children's bodies, then I am all for the idea.

I know there's been a kerfluffle about the book and Jessica perhaps taking someone's else's idea but all that aside, it's a great way to get vegtables into kids without crying and yelling and threats. We all know children don't naturally gravitate towards things that are green and grown in the ground.

Mrs. Seinfeld was not available to be interviewed for Conversations With Famous Writers and that's too bad because we would have hit it off and become BFF and would have traded many a recipe, thinking up new ways to fool our kids and perhaps husbands. We would have collaborated on some cookbooks and then would have gone on Oprah together!

Deceptively Delicious is worth your time to check out.

Labels: , ,


1 Comments:

Blogger M said...
I like the sentiment I read on another blog post about this book, that one of the most important reasons for feeding kids healthy food is not just to ensure proper nutrition for them at the time but to ensure a lifetime of good nutrition. In other words, don't kids need to learn to eat veggies and other healthy food, so that they will continue to do so on their own as adults?

I suppose they may puree some veggies and toss into their chicken nuggets when they grow up, but somehow it doesn't seem the likeliest of possibilities for most--maybe I'm wrong though.

I think those who grow up eating healthily often have a fairly easy time doing so as adults, too. Those who grow up with "kid food" or junk food often have a hard time developing a taste for healthy foods. Why not shape kids' palettes and teach the healthy habits while they're still young by feeding them healthy food out in the open?

Of course the J. Seinfelf way I guess is better than no veggies at all, but something about the whole concept just turns me off. It's partly the semi deceptive "hidden" aspect, my belief that it doesn't do enough for future eating habits, and the idea that one need go through all this effort of pureeing and sneaking in food just to get a kid to eat a vegetable. @ 11:59 PM  
Post a Comment  | << Home
Google