Sunday, December 30, 2007

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See


Currently I am reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. In the book, the author describes the Chinese tradition of binding feet. I couldn't wrap my head around this idea; what do the feet look like? How is it done? I always imagined women with petite feet but the pictures I found really blew my mind! Check this out...



Look at the teeny red shoes! The feet were only to be as large as a thumb. Can you imagine balancing on feet so small?


The feet are not only small, they are completely deformed. I thought this was insane but then I considered all the women I know who have breast implants. The women who get repeated plastic surgery, shots of botox in their faces. Liposuction. All the plastic surgery that woman get, is that not so different than foot-binding? I wonder if we told the women whose feet were bound about the plastic surgery taking place in the 21st century, would they think we were the crazy ones?



The book is very good so far, I recommend it. Happy Reading!



Labels: ,


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...
That is a very good observation, Cindy- how are women of the 21st century, who get breast implalnts different from those who had to get their feet bound back in the days?

I have so much respect for women, who refuse to fit into someone elses's beauty standars and instead, age gracefully, embracing their own bodies, beauty and life experience. @ 2:39 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...
hfI had read the book a couple of months ago and found it very interesting. I loved following the girls friendship through the years. I, like you, couldn't quite understand the whole foot binding thing and looked up images on google. It looks horribly painful.
I've never heard foot binding compared to modern day cosmetic alterations, but I suppose if the shoe fits... ;) @ 12:15 PM  
Blogger Erica Ridley said...
I don't know how accurate this is (being as it came from a novel, not non-fiction) but I think in Memoirs of a Geisha, there's a line about how foot-binding is so the women will look beautiful with their shoes on, but that the men do not want to see their bare feet (because it is not a pretty sight, even to them). Interesting! @ 7:29 AM  
Anonymous Ina said...
good Job! :) @ 3:56 AM  
Anonymous spookyva said...
Quite helpful piece of writing, much thanks for this article. @ 1:02 PM  
Anonymous price per head service said...
I am also interested in this topic. I have spent a lot of time on searching this kind of topic. It is very informative. @ 12:40 AM  
Blogger Sarah Payne said...
0844 telephone numbers
It’s a pleasure to visit this blog because it has a detailed structure. Simply Excellent. @ 6:24 AM  
Blogger Sarah Payne said...
It’s a pleasure to visit this blog because it has a detailed structure. Simply Excellent.
free 0800 numbers @ 6:26 AM  
Post a Comment  | << Home
Google