Friday, January 25, 2008

Abundance


I have been on a historical novel kick lately. I have tons of good books to read on my shelf but I keep heading to the library for more thick novels to sink my teeth into. A fantastic book, no matter what the genre can transport us to another time and place. There have been times when I am standing at the stovetop, cooking with a book in my hand. Other instances find me with tears running down my cheeks because I get so emotional. And who can resist a book that makes us laugh out loud? Then you try to explain to who ever is sitting next to you what is so funny but they don't understand because they aren't reading the book.



Last year I took an eleven day Panama Canal cruise and probably, one of the best parts of the trip was the fact that I read almost a novel a day! When my husband was doing his thing and the kids were off playing, I was back in the cabin or sitting somewhere relaxing with a novel in my hand. I read a book about Marie Antoinette which really whet my appetite for learning more about the young, frivolous Queen.



Last night I could have watched Celebrity Apprentice or something fun on HGTV. But I decided to head to bed, lounging under the covers with my novel. I finished Abundance by Sena Jeter Naslund. This is a huge book which I'm sure took the author a long time and a lot of energy to write and she did an amazing job. It's so chock-full of information and details of locations and people. I highly recommend Abundance! It's incredible and you will love it. I found myself very sympathetic towards Marie Antoinette and her husband. Last night I was google-ing images of Marie to see what she looked like, this queen with her towering hair do's and extravagent dresses.



I wish I paid more attention to history when I was in school. Now as an adult, I am so intrigued with these famous ladies. I just got a book about the last wife of Henry the VIII and rented the film with Cate Blanchett, Elizabeth I.



A few years ago we were traveling across the country via airplane and I was in the middle of My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. First of all, I never take library books on vacation with me in case I lose them. Second, I do not travel with hardbacks because of their size. Well this book was both from the library and a hardback. I simply couldn't leave it behind though; I HAD to finish it. I was somewhere over Colorado when I finished the story and OH MY GOODNESS. If you haven't read the book, I don't want to spoil it for you but I was thunderstruck by the ending. I looked around for someone to talk to about this fantastic novel but of course everyone was paging through Sky Mall or sleeping. See, that's what a terrific book does, it leaves you wanting to tell other people about so they can experience it too!



Good books, seriously what's better? Check out Abundance if you are looking for a thick, juicy historical novel!

Labels:


3 Comments:

Blogger Adi said...
Find Internet Marketing resource hare Online Marketing Strategy | Internet Marketing Tools | Online Marketing Campaign | Online Marketing Business | Online Marketing System | Online Business | Online Home Business | Online Business Tips | Internet Marketing Online @ 5:45 PM  
Blogger Adi said...
Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.
Oes Tsetnoc | Semangat Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa @ 3:00 AM  
Blogger Adi said...
Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.
Oes Tsetnoc | Semangat Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa @ 3:01 AM  
Post a Comment  | << Home
Google