Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Kite Runner movie




I saw this movie last weekend and was excited to share my review. First of all, if you haven't read the book, get to your library or your local bookstore and get your hands on a copy. Like I said before, this novel sat on my shelf for years despite everyone raving about it. I didn't think I would like it and brushed it off. It was literally gathering dust until one day I picked it up and quickly devoured it. It's emotional, touching and well written. It gave me an insight into that part of the world.

After you read it, see the film. The Kite Runner movie sticks very close to the book for the major part of the film. I would say the first 85% of the movie is identical to the novel. During the last few chapters of the book, when the suspense is building and the ending is unclear and you are almost crying, well that's the part they left out of the movie. While I loved the film, I felt the ending was a wee bit rushed. The suspense in the book just was not there in the movie, at least not for me. The acting was great and I liked seeing new faces instead of the same old actors and actresses.

Definitely an Oscar contender, gorgeous cinematography. I am no movie reviewer but I do have a huge passion for books made into films. I hope the writers strike gives the creator/ writer more recognition. Now when will A Thousand Splendid Suns be turned into a screenplay?

Labels:


Google