Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Book Clubbing


As I mentioned in my previous post, I chose Julie & Julia for my book club. Now choosing the right book is difficult. You can't just pick a random book and tell everyone to read it. I mean, of course you can, but I don't roll that way. I think about it, mull over it, read reviews on Amazon then make my choice. I wanted to pick a book that had some kind of univeral appeal. We are all women and we all have to cook for our families so at least that was a relatable platform.

I'm almost done with the book and I am happy to report, it's wonderful. Now, I would never make many of the French foods that Julie attempts to master. Eggs in aspic? Calves feet? Bone Marrow? No. But I like reading about it. The potato soup especially sounds delicious.

Julie was a bored secretary when she came up with this brilliant idea (and it is brilliant because Meryl Streep and Amy Adams are starring in the movie version of the book!) to blog about her experiences cooking her way through Julia Childs' book, Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Slowly but surely people began to take notice of her blog and the rest is history.

I recommend this book to you, my lovely readers. It's a few years old but that's okay. A good, entertaining story will stand the test of time. I have to say, all the time Julie spent writing about being secretary in a job she didn't like, I can't help but think...didn't you know you were such a talented writer?

Labels: ,


1 Comments:

Anonymous LA Blogger Gal said...
I picked this for my book club as well. But then I dropped it. I tried reading it but just couldn't get into it, which is so sad because the foodie in me really wanted to love it. @ 7:31 PM  
Post a Comment  | << Home
Google