Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day


On Saturday night I went to dinner with a friend at a restaurant called BJs. I had an Italian Margarita- regular margarita with Amaretto- delicious!- and a chopped BBQ Chicken salad. I know you would spend the day wondering what I ate if I didn't tell you. We also shared a spinach dip which can be tricky because that green spinach has a tendency to get lodged in the teeth. After dinner, we decided to see a movie, we were in the mood for a light, sweet film. The only one that fit the bill was Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. I read reviews in magazines and online and all the critics had lovely things to say about the movie so I was game.


I was not disappointed. Amy Adams, fresh from her role in Enchanted, is very twinkly and cute with her red hair and round eyes and impish smile. Frances McDormand, who I loved in Fargo, is terrific as a dowdy, down-on-her-luck Miss Pettigrew. The film takes place in the 1940's and the music and costumes are wonderful, a visual treat to behold! The movie itself is exactly what I had hoped for with funny scenes and emotional scenes and moments that are touching and sweet. The ending is happy and satisfying.

I didn't know that it was based on a novel by Winifred Watson back in 1938. See, the best films come from good books! Here is a quote from Winifred to her publisher, regarding Miss Pettigrew:
Miss Pettigrew was always rather a pet of mine but my publishers were horrified when they first read it. I had written two rather strong dramas before it so when they received a book that was fun they wouldn't accept it. I can remember to this day looking up at him and saying, "You're wrong: Miss Pettigrew is a winner." But he just looked stubborn. I wrote another straight novel and then, when they did publish Miss Pettigrew, I was proved right and they were proved wrong.
Her quote gives great hope to those of us who get a little down with our own pursuits of literary success. I can't wait to read the book, I'm sure it's wonderful. Enjoy the trailer below.

Labels: ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment  | << Home
Google