Sunday, June 29, 2008

When You Are Engulfed In Flames

I remember talking about books with a friend one day many years ago. She was raving about this hilarious book called Me Talk Pretty One Day. I assumed it was about . ..how do I say this...a mentally challenged person. "You HAVE to read it!" she yelled. So....I checked it out of the library and didn't get past page one. I'm a tough audience. I'm hard to make laugh. I'll smile politely at a joke, offer a giggle but to solicit a guffaw, it just doesn't happen too frequently. I guess I imagined the book would be like a collection of knee slapping jokes.



Sooooo when I heard about this book, When You Are Engulfed in Flames, I figured I'd try it. I do have a soft spot for funny gay men. And funny gay men writers? Love them.



I began the book last night and am already halfway through it. Its so ...funny! Entertaining. And I did laugh out loud a handful of times. Its an amusing and fun read and I can't wait to finish it up tonight. And now I'm going to have to go back and try out Me Talk Pretty One Day and all the other books in between.

Labels: ,


3 Comments:

Blogger Kimber Chin said...
Dang, I've heard so many good things about Me Talk Pretty One Day. It isn't my usual read but I'm thinking I have to give it a look. @ 3:52 PM  
Blogger Erik Donald France said...
Glad to see a positive note on this one as I've read a lot of bad press about it.

Love his earlier books. I wonder if he has a novel in the works? @ 9:26 PM  
Blogger Catherine! said...
For the full effect, you really MUST listen to the audio version of David Sedaris' books ... his dry, deadpan voice is just hysterical. It's one of those things that at first you think, "What's with this guy's voice?" and then after a few minutes, you're in love with his silly sense of humor. @ 12:20 PM  
Post a Comment  | << Home
Google