Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Five Minutes with Maggie

The Shiniest Jewel: A Family Love Story

Marian Henley's memoir, The Shiniest Jewel, captures the true depth of love within a family. The memoir traces Henley's own journey of trying to adopt a baby from a Russian orphanage. That central storyline is placed within the context of the growth of her own romantic relationship and of her aging father's illness. However, Henley's book is different from any other that I've read. Instead of a straightforward memoir, the book is actually illustrated, just like a comic strip in the Sunday paper. Unlike a comic strip, though, the book is almost 200 pages long and the story is incredibly eloquent.



The illustrations that accompany the story add a compelling visual element that strengthens the writing. Because of the story's format, the book is a very fast read; I read the book cover-to-cover in a couple hours. The message of strength and love within a family, though, sticks with you long after you've finished the book.

Labels:


1 Comments:

Blogger Kold_Kadavr_flatliner said...
Just wanna give you ideasNthots from a guy who’s seen the other side. I’m a super-dooper-jumbo-loser, yet, I’m quite the savvy, sardonic satire with avant-garde, cooDAYtah opportunity; I’m a post-mortem cynic who’s seen Heaven Above and I’m verrry adept at hired-gun-diplomacy; I’m the vehicle of wretched, rowdy, anti-establishmentarian truth. Pleased to make your acquaintance, girl. Won’t you join me Upstairs, Miss Gorgeous Babe, where I shall kiss your adorable feet which brought U.S. here? For a party-hardy for years and years celebrating our resurrection? For an endless plethora of wonderFULL volumes of love in the Great Beyond? --- I don’t mind if you take ONE or ALL genres to steal, girl (what the #@!!s the internet for??), just allow me to nekk with you in the Great Beyond and wrap you in my strong arms fulla compassionate love. God bless you. @ 2:08 PM  
Post a Comment  | << Home
Google